[A2k] ACTA: USTR's talking points to WTO Council for TRIPS

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Thu Nov 4 05:27:10 PDT 2010

http://keionline.org/node/1008

ACTA: USTR's talking points to WTO Council for TRIPS
The following statement is the oral intervention made by USTR at the
WTO Council for TRIPS (October 2010) regarding ACTA.

Talking Points of the United States for TRIPS Council Meeting of
October 26, 2010
Agenda Item P
ACTA
We would like to thank other delegations for their interest in the
Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA). Delegations will recall
that the United States and other delegations have been interested in
discussing the issue of IP enforcement at this Council for many years
and so we’re pleased to have another discussion today.

Counterfeiting and piracy continue to negatively impact States and
companies. Unfortunately, today they are also increasingly affecting
the everyday life of citizens. Besides the often-copied luxury goods
and blockbuster movies, counterfeiters and pirates are not taking
liberties with common household articles – everything from home
appliances to toothpaste. From the perspective of public and consumer
health and safety, the appearance of counterfeit medicines and items
such as counterfeit spare parts for cars, buses, and planes poses a
threat that cannot be ignored.

In that connection, the US delegation is pleased to provide an update
on the status of the ACTA.  We discussed at length the importance of
ACTA in combating the global problem of counterfeiting and piracy at
last June’s meeting, so I will not repeat that intervention here. The
11th and final round of the negotiations was held in Tokyo from
September 23-October 2. Thereafter, negotiators released the almost
final draft text that includes the highest standards for enforcement
of intellectual property rights (IPR) ever achieved in an agreement
with such broad and widespread participation.

As a preliminary matter, delegations who are interested in reviewing
the current text, can review it on the USTR website (as well as the
websites of the other negotiating partners). With respect to process,
there are still a small number of outstanding issues that participants
are working to resolve expeditiously, with a view to finalizing the
text of the agreement as quickly as possible. The draft Agreement will
undergo final legal review and be released to the public again before
participants sign. Each signatory will then pursue its relevant
procedures for approval and the agreement will enter into force after
six signatories have deposited their acceptance of the ACTA.

The diverse participants in the negotiations are: Australia, Canada,
the European Union (EU) represented by the European Commission and the
EU Presidency (Belgium) and the EU Member States, Japan, Korea,
Mexico, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore, Switzerland and the United
States of America.

A number of Members have expressed interest in ACTA today.

I note that the ACTA includes provisions allowing other WTO Members to
apply for accession after a specified period, and we welcome all
Members who are interested in enhancing IPR enforcement to consider
joining the agreement. In that connection, we would welcome the
opportunity to discuss that possibility with any Member that is
interested in enhancing enforcement of IPR.

As we have previously stated, the goal of ACTA is to establish a state-
of-the-art international framework that provides a model for
effectively combating the global proliferation of commercial-scale
counterfeiting and piracy in the 21st century.

The state-of-the-art framework calls for police and border officials
to have authority and tools to effectively address large-scale
infringements such as cargo containers loaded with counterfeit goods
to protect the public and preserve markets for distributors of
legitimate go[o]ds. These tools will include not only strong laws on
the books, but also a network of similarly trained specialized
enforcement authorities. The agreement also includes innovative
provisions to deepen international cooperation and to promote strong
enforcement practices.

I would like to highlight just a few of the key accomplishments of the
ACTA that will provide important tools in the fight against combating
piracy.

First, ACTA will generally enable authorities responsible for
enforcing criminal laws to act on their own initiative (“ex officio”)
in context of piracy and counterfeiting cases, rather than waiting for
a complaint. This fixes a gap in existing standards that has sometimes
left police and prosecutors powerless to take action against
counterfeiters and pirates without a complaint from a right-holder.

Second, ACTA will also clarify existing international requirements for
the availability of criminal penalties when piracy or counterfeiting
is carried out for commercial advantage. Companies that benefit from
using pirated products, such as pirated software products, will be
exposed to criminal penalties. This will help deter those companies
from stealing copyrighted or trademarked products and using those
products to make themselves more competitive.

Third, ACTA will establish new obligations on criminal seizure and
destruction of fake goods, seizure of the equipment and materials used
in their manufacture, and seizure of the criminal proceeds from piracy
and counterfeiting offenses. This ensures that police and prosecutors
will have state-of-the-art tools to crack down on counterfeiters and
pirates, and to take away both ill-gotten gains and the tools of
illicit trade.

Fourth, ACTA will clarify existing international requirements to
protect against circumvention of digital security technologies (such
as passwords or encryption). This protects the ability of legitimate
online content providers to create innovative business models for
securely distributing movies, games, software, music, and other
content to customers.

Fifth, ACTA will require parties to address copyright piracy on
digital networks, while preserving principles such as freedom of
expression, fair process, and privacy. ACTA will be the first
agreement of its kind to include an obligation to address the scourge
of piracy over digital networks, and to do so in a way that respects
fundamental values, such as freedom of expression, fair process, and
privacy.

Sixth, ACTA will enhance the international framework for civil
enforcement provisions dealing with issues such as damages,
provisional measures, recovery of costs and attorneys’ fees, and
destruction of infringing goods. Private parties will have access to
effective civil systems that crack down on counterfeiters and pirates,
and will be able to obtain court orders to stop illegal activity, and
to secure meaningful damages to remedy violations of their rights.

ACTA will also be the first agreement of its kind to promote several
key best practices that contribute to effective enforcement of
intellectual property rights. We appreciate the interest of some of
our fellow Members in intellectual property rights enforcement and we
look forward to continuing our discussion on this important issue in
the Council.

Thiru Balasubramaniam
Geneva Representative
Knowledge Ecology International (KEI)