[A2k] SCCR 21: General statement of Group B (covering broadcasting, AV protection and limitations and exceptions)

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Mon Nov 8 22:22:45 PST 2010

http://keionline.org/node/1012

SCCR 21: General statement of Group B (covering broadcasting, AV
protection and limitations and exceptions)

Created 9 Nov 2010 - 2:18am
The following general statement was delivered by France, on behalf of
Group B, on the first day (8 November 2010) of SCCR 21.

SCCR 21
Group B opening statement
I thank you M. Chair,

Group B is glad to welcome you back in Geneva for this 21st session of
the Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights, which we hope
will be a productive one.

Group B continues to support the conclusion of a treaty on the
protection of performances in audiovisual media, for we believe such
an international legal instrument would greatly contribute to cultural
and economic development as well as promote cultural diversity. In
view of  the proposals made by several members since the last session
of this Committee, holding consultations would be all the more useful.

Group B also remains convinced of the need of a treaty to address the
challenges of signal piracy encountered by broadcasting organisations.
We think that such a normative solution should be found rapidly.

On exceptions and limitations, group B recognizes the special needs of
persons with print disabilities, which group B members already address
in their national and regional legislations. The careful examination
of possible solutions in this committee reinforces our conviction that
a dual track approach involving taking forward both the work of the
Stakeholders’ Platform and a potential international instrument
promises to be the most likely to produce concrete results.

We commend the work done by the Platform, with the recent launching of
its new project TIGAR which will facilitate the transmission of
publishers’ titles to trusted intermediaries. We would like to remind
everyone that there are two proposals on the table from Group B
Members that each tackle the main obstacle to the access to protected
works for people with print disabilities, namely the cross-border issue.

We look forward to having substantive discussions on this issue, for
we believe working on the substance can help us make progress.

We also stand prepared to discuss in future work of this committee the
other important issues under exceptions and limitations raised by the
African group.

To conclude M. Chairman, group B is ready to engage this week in
substantive and constructive discussions on all items on the agenda
and trusts that under your active guidance we can reach successful and
balanced conclusions this time.

Thiru Balasubramaniam
Geneva Representative
Knowledge Ecology International (KEI)