[A2k] EFF Statement to WIPO SCCR 21st session

Gwen Hinze gwen at eff.org
Thu Nov 11 03:30:33 PST 2010

STATEMENT OF THE ELECRONIC FRONTIER FOUNDATION TO THE WIPO SCCR 21st
SESSION

  Mr. Chair, thank you for the opportunity to present the views of our
organization and our more than 12,500 members worldwide.

  EFF remains concerned by the proposed Broadcasting Treaty because it
is not limited to signal protection as mandated by the General
Assembly, and would instead give broadcasters intellectual property
rights over retransmissions after fixation of signals. Protection of
signals does not require the creation of intellectual property rights.
Granting broadcasters and cablecasters intellectual property rights
that apply independent of copyright, together with legally enforced
technological protection measures will allow broadcasters to restrict
access to public domain works, add complexity to copyright clearance
regimes for creators of podcasts and documentary films, and interfere
with consumers’ ability to make in home recordings permitted under
national copyright law. It will also harm competition and innovation
by allowing broadcasters and cablecasters to control the types of
devices that can receive transmissions, and create new liability risks
for intermediaries that retransmit information on the Internet.

  We appreciate the new study by Professors Picard et al. on the
socioeconomic effect of the Treaty and note the authors’ findings that
the treaty is likely to disadvantage the public by reducing content
currently available, and by increasing costs for acquisition of
material. However, the report’s failure to consider the impact of the
proposed treaty on citizen broadcasting, and on competition and
innovation in the information technology sector are noteworthy
omissions at a time when it is not at all clear what the future of
broadcasting will be, and whether current encumbents will remain so,
as consumers increasingly move away from content created by major
media conglomerates.

On exceptions and limitations, we are heartened by Member States’
support for adoption of a concrete work plan to focus work towards an
international instrument taking into account the four proposals before
it. We support the Treaty for the Visually Impaired to secure access
to accessible works for the visually impaired as the first part of the
work plan on copyright exceptions and limitations discussed at this
Committee’s 16th session. A binding norm that provides both greater
legal certainty for cross-border import and export of accessible works
and guidance to Member States on minimum national exceptions in
national laws is needed to address the policy and market failures that
have created the chronic lack of material in formats accessible the
world’s 314 million print disabled citizens.

International copyright experts agree that it is possible to create
exceptions that comply with the Three Step Test. And yet less than one
third of WIPO’s Member States have done so. It was therefore
disheartening to hear the series of interventions from Group B Member
States yesterday questioning the notion of mandatory minimum
exceptions, while failing to acknowledge the existence of mandatory
exceptions in the Berne Convention and in EU directives. We applaud
all efforts to increase accessible materials, but neither a voluntary
licensing regime nor a mechanism that covers only one of these
elements will be able to change the status quo. We listened with
interest to Member States’ interventions on trusted intermediaries. It
would indeed be a tragedy to set up a mechanism for expedited access
only to find that no entities exist in many developing countries that
could satisfy the terms of the US and EU proposals.

We are pleased to see recognition of the need for work towards an
international instrument on exceptions and limitations that facilitate
the efficient operation of today’s global libraries and archives, but
are disappointed by the removal of all references to exceptions and
limitations for educational purposes in the work plan tabled by Group
B. We recall that the right to education is a fundamental human right
enshrined in Article 26 of the UN Declaration of Human Rights and
Article 24 of the UN Convention for the Rights of Persons with
Disabilities, and a core objective of the Millennium Development Goals.

As the five detailed studies commissioned by WIPO demonstrate, it is
possible to create appropriately tailored exceptions and limitations
that meet the Three Step Test and provide adequate remuneration for
the publishing industry, but many developing countries do not have
them. An international instrument that provides for mandatory minimum
standards of exceptions for education is needed to provide guidance to
Member States on how they can take advantage of the flexibilities that
exist in the international framework.  The Internet and new
digitization technologies offer new possibilities for distance
education for students across the world who do not have access to
physical classrooms or traditional libraries, and new methods for
learning in the classroom – but these possibilities will only be
realized if we have global copyright law exceptions and limitations
that facilitate cross-border transfers of digital information, and
foster innovation and transformative uses of technology for education.

We urge this Committee to work together with a spirit of renewed
goodwill and to seize the opportunity to create a work plan to address
all of the pressing humanitarian problems that are now before it in
order to ensure the ongoing credibility of the international copyright
regime.

Thank you for your consideration.

Gwen Hinze
International Director, EFF

.

--
Gwen Hinze
International Director
email:gwen at eff.org
web: www.eff.org
Tel.: + 1 415 436 9333 x110

Please support EFF - Working to protect your digital rights and
freedom of expression since 1990