[A2k] KEI statement at SCCR 21

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Thu Nov 11 04:36:06 PST 2010

http://keionline.org/node/1017

KEI statement at SCCR 21
By James Love
Created 11 Nov 2010 - 6:45am
This was our 400 word statement at the WIPO SCCR 21.

Statement of KEI at WIPO SCCR 21, November 11, 2010
There should be a compelling rationale for creating new global norms
for copyrights.

KEI opposes work on a new broadcasting treaty, and supports work on
performers treaty.

KEI supports work at the SCCR on new possible norms for copyright
limitations and exceptions, particularly as regards to access to
knowledge, and uses of new technologies.

For persons with disabilities, the well established rationale for a
global norm is the need for sufficient implementation and
harmonization of exceptions to facilitate the sharing of accessible
work across national borders, in order to expand the number of works
available to person who are blind or have other disabilities.

The SCCR just has to make it happen.

They say the three most important things about real estate are
location, location, location. To advance work on a treaty for persons
with disabilities, the three most important things are focus, focus,
and focus. The SCCR should hold meetings that solely deal with the
task of developing consensus on the text of such a treaty.

We call upon the Obama Administration, after nearly two years in
office, to decide if a treaty is needed, and to provide leadership in
Group B to support a treaty. WIPO could have a treaty on cross border
sharing of works by 2012, if Group B countries would stop blocking
work on the text.

On other topics, such as education, including distance education,
libraries, archives, orphan works, user generated content and new
information services, there is much that could be done, in terms of
gathering information, sharing experiences, analysis and norm setting.

The Africa Group is asking that the SCCR make as a priority work on
education. In this regard, we suggest the SCCR make an assessment of
the 1971 Berne Appendix, to evaluate where this agreement achieved its
objectives, and where it did not. We also suggest the SCCR identify
the rationale or rationales for norm setting in the area of education
exceptions, and consider the evidence that will assist the committee
in its work.

Education, including also the role of libraries and archives, is a
large sector with enormous impact on society. Given its importance in
development for all countries, it is essential that the SCCR provide
sufficient time and focus to identify the most useful and durable
reforms that can insure that the copyright system has the right
balance regarding the material interests, needs and human rights of
authors, students, teachers and scholars, and commercial interests of
publishers.

Thiru Balasubramaniam
Geneva Representative
Knowledge Ecology International (KEI)