[A2k] IP-Watch Inside Views: Global Copyright Reform: A View From The South In Response To Lessig

corporacion innovarte innovartecorporacion at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 07:50:34 PST 2010

 Dear Ahmed,

 To have had Professor Lessig as a main sepeaker at a WIPO  evento on
licensing is clearly a excelent sign of progress in our colective effort to
make  WIPO a more balanced institution. He was very persuasive, as he uses
to be, on the need of change the current copyright system to match the
digital environment and to protect creativity by allowing a minimun level of
freedom to deal with content.  But I also think that he missed a opportunity
to recognice the current effort of changing such system by the way of the
adopting treaties of mandatory exceptions and limitations. and wonder why he
did omit such extremely important discussion at WIPO.

In this context I wonder if he did not mention the current proposal on
treaties for mandatory exceptions for the blind because he was, surprisingly
not aware of it or is not convinced about it, or other reason that would be
interesting to know..

Regards

Luis Villarroel
Director