[A2k] Library Copyright Alliance statements at WIPO CDIP/6

Janice Pilch janicepilch at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 08:09:33 PST 2010

 Below are two statements made on behalf of the Library Copyright Alliance
at the WIPO CDIP/6 meeting in Geneva this week.

-Janice Pilch
**
**
*STATEMENT FROM*

*LIBRARY COPYRIGHT ALLIANCE *

*WIPO COMMITTEE ON DEVELOPMENT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY*

*SIXTH SESSION*

*GENEVA**, 22-26 NOVEMBER 2010*

Thank you, Mr. Chairman, for the opportunity to speak on behalf of the
Library Copyright Alliance, that represents over 139,000 academic, research
and public libraries in the United States in providing library services and
promoting the public interest. We appreciate your continued leadership of
this committee.

As the committee continues its implementation of the work program, we urge
Member States to integrate the important conclusions reached in the
twenty-first session of the WIPO Standing Committee on Copyright and Related
Rights  into the projects being conducted and yet to be formulated.

The agreement reached by Member States on November 12, 2010 for a work plan
on copyright limitations and exceptions for persons with print and other
reading disabilities, for libraries and archives, and for educational,
teaching and research institutions, and persons with other disabilities,
allocates considerable time for discussion of these issues in the next two
years.

The Development Agenda offers a timely opportunity to explore the realities
of copyright limitations and exceptions in developing and least developed
nations, with an aim toward addressing gaps and furthering the work of the
SCCR during this period. This could be accomplished within the terms of
document CDIP/6/10 on a *Future Work Program on Flexibilities in the
Intellectual Property System*. Examining in detail the existence, the role,
and the successes and failures of limitations and exceptions in developing
and least developed nations, and providing comprehensive, objective
knowledge about copyright flexibilities, will offer a basis for progress in
both the CDIP and SCCR.

We support work that will strengthen limitations and exceptions within
developing nations and across Member States, mainstreamed to the activity of
the SCCR. We believe that the most important responsibility of both
committees at this time is the establishment of copyright limitations and
exceptions to enable those with print disabilities and other disabilities to
read; to create an environment where libraries and archives can fulfill
their responsibility to society for collecting, organizing, preserving, and
making available information, a responsibility that rightholders do not
fulfill; and to enable  educational, teaching and research institutions to
perform their lawful activity without fear and doubt. This is a reasonable
expectation in a global information society, and it is critical to the
future of developing and least developed nations.

Thank you again, Mr. Chairman, for the opportunity to present our comments
at this meeting.

* *

*Contact:*

Janice T. Pilch

Library Copyright Alliance
E-mail: pilch at illinois.edu

**

**

*STATEMENT FROM*

*LIBRARY COPYRIGHT ALLIANCE *

*WIPO COMMITTEE ON DEVELOPMENT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY*

*SIXTH SESSION*

*GENEVA**, 22-26 NOVEMBER 2010*

Thank you, Mr. Chairman, for the opportunity to present comments on behalf
of the Library Copyright Alliance.

WIPO is engaged in an impressive number of programs within the framework of
the Development Agenda. We appreciate the efforts being made to make
CDIP-related information more accessible, including the Technical Assistance
Database, and the range of Technical Assistance programs being offered for
the benefit of developing nations.

We are still concerned that many of these efforts reflect traditional WIPO
activities, and would like to see more substantive content, and eventually
results, showing that the Development Agenda is making a change in human and
social development, and in the copyright sphere, a qualitative change in
levels of protections to enable broader access to information in the
interest of intellectual development.

In support of document CDIP/6/10 on a *Future Work Program on Flexibilities
in the Intellectual Property System* and in agreement with comments made
this morning concerning the implementation of recommendation 35, we suggest
the addition of a project for assessment measures on national legislative
change in the area of flexibilities—toward use of information for the
purpose of development, in the original spirit of the Development Agenda.

We very much appreciate the notable efforts being made in the work program,
but believe that more work needs to be done to address, specifically,
excessive levels of copyright protection in developing nations and LDCs, and
to remedy the situation with concrete legislative advice, leading to changes
in laws that make a difference in libraries, archives, educational
institutions, and for the public in general.

E-mail: pilch at illinois.edu**