[A2k] Law Professors Call on Obama to Halt ACTA

Sean Flynn sflynn at wcl.american.edu
Wed Oct 27 11:50:01 PDT 2010

A group of prominent law professors are circulating a sign on letter to
President Obama asking him to "direct the USTR to halt its public
endorsement of ACTA and subject the text to a meaningful participation
process that can influence the shape of the agreement going forward."

The invitation being circulated by Chris Sprigman, University of
Virginia, Dave Levine, Elon University, and Sean Flynn, American
University, on behalf of 23 original signatories states:

We are writing to invite academics to join an urgent sign on letter
asking the Obama administration to "to halt its public endorsement of
ACTA [the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade agreement] and subject the text to a
meaningful participation process that can influence the shape of the
agreement going forward."

As you may know, the context for this letter is the recent release of
the text of ACTA by the U.S. Trade Representative, after several years
of negotiation without a single public hearing on the text. The
agreement is being negotiated as a "sole executive agreement," which
means it will not be submitted to Congress for assent and will not be
signed by the President himself. This represents a new and dangerous
path for IP treaty-making that the letter opposes.

Given the rapid pace with which the administration is attempting to
finalize the agreement, we are asking for sign ons by the end of today.
We will take sign ons up until midnight tonight.

To sign on, please send your name and institutional affiliation to
acta.letter at gmail.com by 11:59pm October 27.

Nits, proof reading errors, corrections to institutional affiliation and
other edits are also welcomed throughout today.

This letter will be sent to President Obama on Thursday, October 28.

The text of the letter is attached and is pasted in the text below.

-Sean Flynn, David Levine, Christopher Sprigman

The full text of the letter is available at
http://www.wcl.american.edu/pijip/go/blog-post/academic-sign-on-letter-t
o-obama-on-acta