[A2k] Compartilhamento legal! – Brazil is putting an end to the ‘war on copying,’ at R$ 3,00 per month

Volker Grassmuck vgrass at rz.hu-berlin.de
Thu Sep 2 17:25:49 PDT 2010

Thanks for your comments, Fede.

> it's just to realize
> that people have decided to take culture in their own hands

I 100% agree on your analysis. I disagree on your critique of our proposed solution.

> These proposals will keep cropping up, of course, because a few
> people and companies stand to benefit massively from it.

I don't keep bringing this up because I expect to benefit massively. I expect to benefit the same as everybody who writes (makes music, films etc.) publicly: in rough proportionality to the popularity of the stuff I put into the common pool of culture. But more importantly, I expect to profit, like all of us, from the formal recognition by law that file-sharing is legal.

> a solution looking for a problem,

The problem for which we are proposing the Sharing Licence as a solution is this: law suits, 3-strikes, ACTA, DPI, DNS seizures etc. etc.

Another solution would be to start yet another ANTI campaign every time another of these strategies pops up. Not much fun in the long run. More promising to me is a PRO campaign for a solution that puts an end to these futile attempts to re-establish scarcity for good.

What's your solution? You haven't said. Legalizing file-sharing without levy?

> R$3.00 may seem little, but if you take into
> account the fact that the "Banda Larga Popular" in Brazil costs
> roughly R$30, you realize that this is a 10% price hike for
> low-income families.

You may want to add that the phenomenal Banda Larga plan will cost Brazilians R$ 49 billion until 2014. Another form of collective re-distribution for an investment the collective deems useful. I would think that the same collective would also deem useful a collective investment  that enables those who create much of the stuff that makes these pipes so great to continue to create. Anyway, both the R$ 30 projected monthly access fee and the R$ 3 are, of course, moving targets. And it's clear that the collective decision to bring as many citizens online as possible cannot be counteracted by another one that would prevent the very same low-income families from accessing the Internet.

For those of you not familiar with it, here is the Plano Nacional para Banda Larga:
http://www.mc.gov.br/plano-nacional-para-banda-larga

> collects from the many
> to feed the few to boot.

This is a structural problem indeed. But I do see a real chance of rebooting collective management. With 100,000s signing a petition against GEMA in Germany, the uneasiness and often outright hatred against collecting societies across the planet, the time is ripe for change. The Sharing Licence will create another massive push to create a more fair, transparent and equitable system, that remunerates the whole breadth and depth of cultural diversity we are enjoying, taking from all and feeding the many.

I really don't see any meaningful alternative to the idea of collective management itself. I am very eager, though, to explore how it can be organized differently than in the nationally monopolistic, centralized, bureaucratic bodies that grew in the 19th and 20th century. An Internet-age, peer-to-peer based, largely automated, transparent and audited system of collective re-distribution would be a really cool project. Anybody interested to join?

The idea that, because culture has (again) become environmental, it should be paid for by all, I still find plausible - like education, the preservation of our cultural heritage in libraries and museums, the BBC.

But a fair distribution is tricky. I'm not assuming that it will happen automatically. We will have to push for it.

If Brazil should actually decide to try the Sharing Licence, the real work will start. The work of designing a system that takes everyone along and has checks and balances hard-wired into it. If it really happens, we will need the help of all of you.

Fede, if you think I've been mislead, please show me the light.

Abraço Fede, regards to all,
Volker

----
http://www.vgrass.de/