[A2k] Compartilhamento legal! – Brazil is putting an end to the ‘war on copying,’ at R$ 3,00 per month

Federico Heinz fheinz at vialibre.org.ar
Fri Sep 3 08:56:40 PDT 2010

On 03/09/2010, Ciarán O'Riordan wrote:
> Could "No, R$3 is too expensive" be restated as "Yes, if you reduce
> the cost of broadband by R$3"?

Of course it could. But my argument is not that the fee is too high,
(that was just a criticism of the sensationalist subject line) but
rather that:

    1) *any* fee is too high when it's taxing a socially useful and
       beneficial non-profit activity;
    2) feeding money to parasitical collecting agencies/record labels
       is wrong, and gives them even more resources to fight us;
    3) the *last* thing we should be doing is suggesting that there
       is even a marginal grain of truth to the industry's claims
       that they need to be compensated.

	Fede