[A2k] Compartilhamento legal! – Brazil is putting an end to the ‘war on copying,’ at R$ 3,00 per month

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 05:20:46 PDT 2010

On 3 September 2010 02:25, Volker Grassmuck <vgrass at rz.hu-berlin.de> wrote:

> This is a structural problem indeed. But I do see a real chance of
> rebooting collective management. With 100,000s signing a petition against
> GEMA in Germany, the uneasiness and often outright hatred against collecting
> societies across the planet, the time is ripe for change. The Sharing
> Licence will create another massive push to create a more fair, transparent
> and equitable system, that remunerates the whole breadth and depth of
> cultural diversity we are enjoying, taking from all and feeding the many.

What always concerned me a bit about collective licensing and which I
addressed with you earlier in Brussels is how corrupt collecting agencies
may destroy an otherwise essentially progressive tax/redistributive model
approach. The collective licenses hinge on having /artists/ benefit rather
than owners and holders of economic rights (=usually huge media
corporations), and to my knowledge the Brazilian collecting agency is still
rather biased towards the latter. Can you correct me?

/a