[A2k] Compartilhamento legal! – Brazil is putting an end to the ‘war on copying,’ at R$ 3,00 per month

Marko Loparic marko.loparic at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 12:50:01 PDT 2010

On 03/09/2010, Federico Heinz <fheinz at vialibre.org.ar> wrote:
> Giving in to the pressure of ACTA, HADOPI, DPI & friends is a losing
> strategy. The proposal you showed us amounts to an admission that
> broadband users need to somehow "compensate" rightsholders for
> sharing works.
>
> After you admit that, you've lost the moral high ground, and it's
> just a matter of discussing the price --- which will most likely be
> high and increasing over time.

I wonder if there are other people that disagree as much as I do on
the convenience of such position for the goal of resisting against the
effort of criminalising file sharing.

For me a levy law is a very welcome initiative. For many reasons:
- The pressure will be of course very high on any emerging country
challenging the copyright "international standards" imposed by the
richest countries. The levy is a solid defense against the inevitable
accusation of being "another pirate country like China".
- Though sharing is a widespread activity, most people still see it as
a wrongdoing. Once the levy law passes, people will get the habit of
sharing files without guilt. This would be an enormous change. After
some years it would not be difficult, I believe, to question whether
the levy does more that feed bureaucrats or not. And anyway the
question of having to pay a levy or not (finally another tax among
hundreds we pay) is for me uncomparably less relevant than whether
people will be criminalised or not for sharing files.
- The levy law seems to me to be a smart strategic move in the sense
the it can somehow appease the powerful beast we fight against and its
(mainly short-term) greed, while making things progress for us -- who
care about freedom in the long term. That is why I don't care much on
whether or not there is a way to make the money collected by the levy
have a good end. In a sense the levy is for a me a fee we have to pay
(and that I would gladly pay) for changing the mentality -- not only
of the legislators and judges -- but of the society as a whole. I
still don't see many people claiming loud "sharing is good" as rms
does.

I could argue more, but my first interest is to know if other people
have already written something on the same direction.

Cheers,
Marko