[A2k] Compartilhamento legal! – Brazil is putting an end to the ‘war on copying,’ at R$ 3,00 per month

Marko Loparic marko.loparic at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 09:14:22 PDT 2010


Hi Federico,

On 6 September 2010 17:19, Federico Heinz <fheinz at vialibre.org.ar> wrote:
>
> On 05/09/2010, Marko Loparic wrote:
> > - The pressure will be of course very high on any emerging country
> > challenging the copyright "international standards" imposed by the
> > richest countries. The levy is a solid defense against the
> > inevitable accusation of being "another pirate country like China".
>
> In this context, China is not necessarily bad company. But besides
> that, such an accusation is being handed out to just about every
> country on a regular basis, not because they don't have minimal
> regulations to enforce copyright, but because they don'y comply with
> the US's maximalist approach. The criterion seems to be "if you don't
> have DMCA, you are a pirate", so token actions like this kind of fee
> are not likely to take you off that place.

This is the point I disagree the most. There are pressures that can be
handled out much more easily than others. A proposal to legalize file
sharing without a fee would be a much stronger confrontation. For me
the wisdom (and success) of Lula foreign policy is precisely to avoid
open confrontation. He got this from his syndicalist background.
Brazil should stay in the path, which I believe to be very effective.

> > - Though sharing is a widespread activity, most people still see it
> > as a wrongdoing.
>
> Speak for yourself. I don't see that sentiment in Latin America.

OK, I speak for myself and you speak for Latin America :-). Me thinks
that this sentiment is dominant wherever me goes, in Brazil, in
Europe, in US. People do it, but only a small minority believes we can
be claim it to be ethical.

How many legists, university professors, bloggers, artists can you
show me demanding the legalization of file sharing? For me it is a
small minority of the public opinion. Perhaps most of them are in this
list...:-)

> > After some years it would not be difficult, I believe, to
> > question whether the levy does more that feed bureaucrats or not.
>
> And what good would that do to us? Do you need to be reminded of the
> long list of state-enforced impositions that do nothing but feed
> bureaucrats? Actually, the fact that it does nothing but feed
> bureacurats is what will ensure that the fee will NEVER go away.

The legalisation without the fee would certainly be preferable. But as
I said, I believe the fee could make it much easier and would be a
minor problem.

> > - The levy law seems to me to be a smart strategic move in the sense
> > the it can somehow appease the powerful beast we fight against
>
> Please explain how it is a smart strategic move to feed a
> powerful opponent, making him stronger, hungrier, and ever more
> powerful.

Once we get the freedom to share files we would have much less to
fear, I believe.

> > In a sense the levy is for a me a fee we have to pay (and that I
> > would gladly pay) for changing the mentality -- not only of the
> > legislators and judges -- but of the society as a whole.
>
> Society is already there. Why would labels need to do expensive PR
> campaigns to reming people that sharing is bad if society were
> already convinced of that?

In my opinion, they do it much more to say that sharing can be
punished than to remind that it is bad.

Cheers,
Marko




More information about the A2k mailing list