[A2k] Compartilhamento legal! – Brazil is putting an end to the ‘war on copying,’ at R$34.500.000 per month

Federico Heinz fheinz at vialibre.org.ar
Mon Sep 6 14:19:30 PDT 2010

On 06/09/2010, Marko Loparic wrote:
> How many legists, university professors, bloggers, artists can you
> show me demanding the legalization of file sharing? For me it is a
> small minority of the public opinion.

My perception is that most people know, deep down, that it's right,
but don't dare say it, some don't even dare think it.

We should play to that deep knowledge, lure it out in the open,
instead of reinforcing the opposite idea.

By the way, I have taken the liberty of updating the subject line to
be more accurate in monetary terms, using information from the
"Barômetro Cisco de Banda Larga"[1] according to which Brazil had
11.5M broadband connections in the second half of 2009.

This, incidentally, means that the yearly income from this scheme
would be roughly 1.71*12*11.5 = USD 235.9M, more than twice the
figure stated in the original paper. This figure, according to the
information in that paper, is about 113% of "the four largest record
companies' revenues combined" (thanks to Enrique Chaparro for
pointing this out to me).

	Fede

[1] <http://www.cisco.com/web/BR/assets/docs/Barometro_Brasil_2H09_Site.pdf>