[A2k] Compartilhamento legal! – Brazil is putting an end to the ‘war on copying,’ at R$34.500.000 per month

Federico Heinz fheinz at vialibre.org.ar
Tue Sep 7 06:30:48 PDT 2010

On 07/09/2010, Philippe Aigrain (perso Wanadoo) wrote:
> 1- Putting in place a new social pact based on both the recognition
> of non-market sharing between individuals as a legitimate right and
> a new contribution by Internet broadband subscribers to creativity
> used and developed on the Internet. There is a powerful momentum
> for this idea of a new social pact.

While this idea indeed is much more palatable, I'm afraid there are
still a few kinks that must be worked out. One I can think of the top
of my head is how community networks fit in this model. As long as
we have commercial ISPs monopolizing the connectivity business, we
might be able to pull it off, but what happens when non-commercial,
unlicensed entities become a larger force in this market?

> Even critics of compensatory approaches such as Fede adopt its way
> of thinking. He compares the global amount of the contribution with
> the turnover of the major companies in music, while the
> contribution proposed in Brazil (and in my own work) covers all
> media, including Internet-native media, and, I hope, including
> voluntarily shared works.

The comparison was made only because it was a data point mentioned in
the original paper which started this thread, as an answer to "is it
enough money?", implying than "more than half of the turnover of the
largest music labels" was enough... so clearly 113% of that is
overkill.

Still, Philippe, you make a compelling case of something we might
want to do, but many question remains unanswered: do we NEED to do it?
Would we be fixing a REAL problem, or just a perceived one? And even
if it does help, how much? Would the expected increase, both
qualitative and quantitative in works and authors, be worth the cost
to society?

As I said before, the shortage of works and authors in absence of
compensation, as predicted by copyright theorists, has completely
failed to manifest itself. Rather, the exact opposite has happened. Do
we really want to mess with a system that WORKS? Is there any way of
knowing in advance that we won't break it in the process?

	Fede