[A2k] Compartilhamento legal! – Brazil is putting an end to the ‘war on copying,’ at R$34.500.000 per month

Philippe Aigrain (perso Wanadoo) philippe.aigrain at wanadoo.fr
Tue Sep 7 07:35:31 PDT 2010

Federico,

Of course all your questions are valid.

The issues of rights of non-market intermediaries will call for complex
delineation (in particular for "mixed" ones who are non-market for some
activities and provide commercial services or get advertising income for
others). But this complexity exists also for any recognition of sharing
whether or not it is associated with a financing mechanism.

As for the "need or not" issue, I am personally convinced that it is on
the contrary a pervert effect of the war on piracy to hide the real need
for new financing the digital cultural, expressive and information
commons. When one studies in detail capability building and project
financing in these domain, one finds a severe shortage of means for
projects and for the ability of people to invest more time in getting
better at what they like to do. The real question is which financing:
Can it be just basic income ? Voluntary resource pooling Kickstarter
mode, combined with indirect market returns ? Or does one need statutory
society-wide resource pooling and in which proportion ? And at which
level should they be defined (geographically, domain-wise). I am
convinced that society-wide pooling is necessary to enable a many-to-all
cultural society. But I have no pretense to close the debate of this
subject. I would be really happy if you would just say that the issue is
open.

Philippe