[A2k] European Parliament members appeal for transparency at Japan ACTA round

Malini Aisola malini.aisola at keionline.org
Wed Sep 22 16:44:19 PDT 2010

http://en.act-on-acta.eu/Consultation_during_ACTA_negotiations_in_Tokyo

Brussels, Wednesday, 22 September 2010.

Consultation during ACTA negotiations in Tokyo

Mr. Yoshihiro Takeda
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Intellectual Property Affairs Division

Ms. Ska Keller
Member of the European Parliament
Greens/EFA Group in the European Parliament

Cc: LICHTENBERGER Eva, COHN-BENDIT Daniel, JADOT Yannick, SCHLYTER Carl,
DELLI Karima, BÉLIER Sandrine, SARGENTINI Judith, ALBRECHT Jan Philipp

Dear Mr. Takeda,

On behalf of the Bureau, and in the spirit of the European Parliament
Greens/EFA Group's engagement in transparency, I am writing to express
the Greens/EFA interest in participating in meetings being organised for
stakeholders to meet with officials attending the ACTA negotiations in
Tokyo.

I believe the negotiators will benefit from a dialogue with experts,
civil society, and NGOs, especially now that the agreement is in the
final stages of negotiation. You might be aware of the European
Parliament Common Resolution of March 10, its Written Declaration in
September and that under the Lisbon Treaty, the European Parliament has
to provide its consent to the Agreement before it can enter into force.

Keeping in mind the above, the Greens/EFA would like to hear of any
opportunities that the Japan government is providing for public
engagement in Tokyo with the objective of participating in such events.

We have received information about a meeting with the negotiators on the
second day of negotiations, Friday, September 24 from 12:00-13:00. The
Greens/EFA, as I suspect also other prominent experts and organisations,
will not be able to arrange for a representative to attend this meeting
because of the short notice. However, it would be possible for us to
participate and be represented the following week.

Could a meeting be arranged for the the week of September 27?

I look forward to your urgent response and thank you in advance for your
attention in this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me at +32 22
845 379.

Cordially,

On behalf of the Greens/EFA Bureau,

Ska Keller, MEP