[A2k] Statement by the European Union and its Member States: Report on the work of the Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Thu Sep 30 03:42:53 PDT 2010

This statement was made by the European Union at the WIPO General
Assemblies.

----

Statement by the European Union and its Member States

Report on the work of the Standing Committee on Copyright and Related
Rights
(Item 26)

Mr Chairman,

The European Union and its Member States would like to thank the
Chairman and WIPO Secretariat for their hard work over the past year
in trying to move forward all the issues being dealt with in the
Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights (SCCR).

On the subject of the international protection of broadcasting
organisations, the European Union and its Member States have found the
first two parts of the study on "the Socioeconomic Dimension of the
Unauthorised use of Signals" interesting and a useful contribution to
the discussions. The study confirms the need for international
protection for broadcasters and we look forward to the presentation of
the third and final part at the next SCCR. The regional seminars
organised by WIPO are certainly also a very practical and efficient
way of informing participants on the specific circumstances of
broadcasting organisations and encouraging a useful exchange of views.
Since many voices within the WIPO membership support the quest for
updating broadcasters' protection in the international sphere, we hope
that the SCCR will be able to move forward and surmount the obstacles
of finding agreement on the outstanding issues, in order to proceed to
the conclusion of a treaty on broadcasting organisations.

The European Union and its Member States would like to thank WIPO for
the regional meetings and open-ended consultations it organised on the
protection of audiovisual performances. These events provide
opportunities for parties to better understand the issues at stake. We
believe that audiovisual performers deserve protection internationally
to bring them on a par with other performers. We would like to
reiterate our commitment to work on developing the international
protection of audiovisual performances.

On the subject of exceptions and limitations, the WIPO Secretariat has
prepared various documents for which the European Union and its Member
States would like to extend their thanks. The open-ended consultations
organised by WIPO in May on copyright Limitations and Exceptions for
persons with print disabilities were useful and opportune. We were
very pleased to receive the two interim reports from the Stakeholders
Platform which we fully support as we believe that this pragmatic
approach will be instrumental in getting higher numbers of works in
accessible formats to the print disabled across the world.

To complement and bolster the work of the Stakeholder Platform, the
European Union and its Member States submitted a proposal for a Joint
Recommendation for the improved access to works protected by copyright
for persons with a print disability at the twentieth session of the
SCCR. We believe that this choice of international instrument can be
adopted speedily and will have immediate and practical positive
results. We are committed to finding a viable solution in the near
future and look forward to constructive discussions at the next SCCR.

Mr. Chairman, the European Union and its Member States remain
dedicated to the work of the SCCR and hope to see progress on all the
topics on the agenda.

Thank you, Mr. Chairman.

Thiru Balasubramaniam
Geneva Representative