[A2k] Open Access Advocate's Arrest Inspires Release Of Thousands of Scientific Journals Online

Claude Almansi claude.almansi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 05:55:20 PDT 2011

Hi All,

Re:

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Sarah Lai Stirland
<sarah at sarahstirland.com> wrote:
> Hi guys -- thought you'd be interested in this story I did:
>
> Open Access Advocate's Arrest Inspires Release Of Thousands of
> Scientific Journals Online
> http://idealab.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/07/open-access-advocates-arrest-inspires-release-of-thousands-of-scientific-journals-online.php
>
> I'd love to hear the listserv community's reaction to the events in this story.

Thanks to all who sent comments so far. The Chronicle of Higher
Education published yesterday  "Rogue Downloader's Arrest Could Mark
Crossroads for Open-Access Movement"
<http://chronicle.com/article/Rogue-Downloaders-Arrest/128439/> by
David Glenn. who makes an interesting connection between Lawrence
Lessig's "The Architecture of Access to Knowledge" lectures last
April, and Swartz' massive download of JSTOR article.

Having attended Lessig's lecture at CERN (and captioned it in
<http://www.universalsubtitles.org/en/videos/jD5TB2eebD5d/>), I was
wondering about that possible connection too - in the sense that
Swartz' action seems to be inspired by the same principles, even if
his method differs widely from Lessig's.

Best

Claude