[A2k] Open Access Advocate's Arrest Inspires Release Of Thousands of Scientific Journals Online

Arif Jinha arif at stratongina.net
Wed Aug 10 15:08:14 PDT 2011

friends,

I think the younger generation will find the pay for digital content
publishing model for scholarship absurd.  There are some ethical qualms
about arts (music, movies etc.) downloading out of respect for the artists,
but as a poor musician myself I believe that among my colleagues everyone
gets also understand that we are enriched in our craft because of
availability of culture, and it filters to us one way or another because of
the web, and without 'illegal' upload/download, it wouldn't really do that.
I don't download music myself but use Grooveshark all the time.

I use we, but I'm only guessing about whether my comments are shared by
other young people, probably most of them haven't given it any thought, but
I think this is how they might respond if they did.

When it comes to downloading, its mostly about music, games, tv, movies.  We
feel bad about the artists, not the corporations because they are monoliths
of outdated bureaucracy and adminstration doing things that are unnecessary
and people can do more readily on their own for free, it seems like a
'make-work' project to me, excused by society because it 'makes money' and
'creates jobs' even though it contains so much pointless activity.  I would
say though that my own producer who I've been friends with for 20 years
disagrees with me not so much for his own business, but he says that people
not buying music threatens the quality of music publishing not just for
commercial music but to that which he loves, jazz and classical, and he says
the very top level kind of production is suffering.  But he is more into
haute culture and I am a bit of gypsy.  So, we are all more conflicted when
it comes to arts because we get that production requires inputs.

For scholarship, everyone knows that even though an article is peer-reviewed
and published, it could turn out to be rubbish in the end, and that when
something is in Wikipedia, most of the time it's correct, though your buddy
may have gone in and changed it for a practical joke.

So, we know we have to sift through lots of material which is written that
awful, boring style of academia forced upon us for our own writing, and we
still have to be critical of any information regardless of its peer-reviewed
status, but we want serious work at the same time that has been reviewed.
If academic publishing continues to exist in a kind of internet backwater
behind price barriers and remaining stuffy and outmoded, I think that very
intelligent young people will engage much more in dialectic learning,
networking with other smart people to develop their knowledge, sharing
knowledge without the paternalism of academia.  They won't even have to
worry about APA style (thank God).  That is probably where I'm headed myself
as soon as I can get the hell out of my MA.

The kids will find out that the peer-reviewers are not paid and all the
publishers are doing is perhaps filtering (which we might say, hey don't do
that for us thank you, maybe we wanted to see that article you blocked from
publication), and copy-editing (thank you for dotting the i's and crossing
the t's, but I can't really tell the difference between the post-print and
the publisher's pdf), and they are paying people to sell the stuff and
manage the money.  So really, all the money for the parts we don't care for,
I don't think we'll buy into that, if we are aware and probably we'll want
to be when it comes down to parting with our own money.   I don't think we'd
regard publishers in scholarship as doing that much for the dollar.  Much
less than in the arts.

When the kids figure out that the authors don't get paid either and donate
by principle, that haven't it blocked from you goes against their interests,
then having to pay for it makes no sense.  Particularly when arbitrarily
there is another article sitting next whose author decided to archive (more
virtuously than the one who didn't), which is of the same value as the one
costing tons of money, and its free.  No other consumer product behaves so
strangely in a market.

Students have little money and pay a lot for tuition and textbooks, and it
seems stupid that publishers can get rich of a captured, forced market of
poor students (and their parents).  Free digital content makes total sense
to the digital generation, most of whom are quite comfortable with Pirate
Bay and so on.  The only concern is compensating creators, which doesn't
apply to scholarship.  We see that all kinds of the best stuff on the net is
free, and we know about open source, I never purchased Word in the last 5
years, all Open Office and so on.

If people had money, freedom would be a different matter.  But no one I hang
out with has much cash, so at least we are not excluded completely from
culture.  I don't have a TV/cable subscription and I need the internet to
work, so I don't watch a lot of TV and movies, but get them from free sites.
Can't afford to rent a video, can't afford to buy cable. Once I'm done
school after a few years, they'll cut my access to the university's
subsciptions, but I won't have a problem getting the articles anyway.
That's how it goes, boils down to money and freedom.

So, when I see that finally someone is pirating scholarship I think to
myself - what took you so long, it's about time, lol!

Arif