[A2k] Google/Android Patent Wars Highlight Need for Compulsory Licensing of Patents

Erik Hjalmar Josefsson erik.hjalmar.josefsson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 16:01:40 PDT 2011

Dear Jamie,

I have to react to your statement that complex products like software
"involve a lot of patentable technology".

Under the European Patent Convention art 52, software is not "patentable
technology":

    (1) European patents shall be granted for any inventions which are
    susceptible of industrial application, which are new and which
    involve an inventive step.
    (2) The following in particular shall not be regarded as inventions
    within the meaning of paragraph 1:
    (a) discoveries, scientific theories and mathematical methods;
    (b) aesthetic creations;
    (c) schemes, rules and methods for performing mental acts, playing
    games or doing business, and programs for computers;
    (d) presentations of information.
    (3) The provisions of paragraph 2 shall exclude patentability of the
    subject-matter or activities referred to in that provision only to
    the extent to which a European patent application or European patent
    relates to such subject-matter or activities as such.

Of course boundaries of what is not regarded as inventions are just as
abused as exclusions from patentability of subject matter which it is
not new or does not involve an inventive step. But EPC art 52 does not
change because we know that obvious and known software solutions are
granted patents. The European Patent Office even grants USPTO class 705
business method patents.

That practise aside, the EPO recognised art 52.2 as "problematic" when
they suggested to delete programs for computers from the list. That
failed, which was one of the reasons the software patents directive was
proposed by the Commission. That failed too, so in Europe we still have
an unambiguous notion that certain achievements are not inventions,
among them programs for computers. As a matter of fact.

Further, I cannot but think there must be leaner ways forward in the
software sector (where Google obviously operates) than compulsory
licensing. I mean, we can all live with iPhones instead of Androids, no?
Yes we can, so the state will have difficulties to come up with
reasonable grounds to force patent owners to license their patents.
Instead, maybe it's better if the state incentivised software producers
to licence their products under GPL through public procurement?

That would not even require patent reform, just the application of
already expressed policies.

Best regards.

//Erik