[A2k] Intellectual Property en TPP

Daniel Alvarez Valenzuela simenon at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 16:03:05 PST 2011

During this week was held in Santiago,  Chile the V Round of Negotiations
for the extension of the Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement of Free
Trade<http://rc.direcon.cl/noticia/2918> (known
as TPP), signed by Brunei, Chile, New Zealand and Singapore (P4) in 2005,
which seek to join the United States, Australia, Peru, Vietnam and Malaysia.

According to published reports, the new multilateral agreement would mean
the creation of a broad free trade area between some of the largest
economies in America and Asia, and would include, among other regulations,
new international rules on intellectual property.

For *ONG Derechos Digitales*, the establishment of new obligations on
intellectual property in general and in particular copyright- in a new free
trade agreement is a matter of great concern. Over the past decade, Chile
incorporated into domestic law provisions that are above international
standards agreed at the World Intellectual Property Organization and the
World Trade Organization, as a result of obligations under the Free Trade
Agreement signed with the United States in 2003.

Therefore, we call upon the Government of Chile to don’t undertake to
negotiate or accept any new obligations that may affect the rights of users
and domestic consumers by excessive protection of intellectual property.
Instead, we encourage our country to promote standards that balance the
legitimate rights and interests of stakeholders, such as strengthening the
public domain, stablishment of exceptions and limitations to copyright that
allow fair use exceptions, regulation  of orphan works  and   express
establishment of  judicial system of notification and download allegedly
infringing content on the Internet, among other provisions that consider
public interests involved in the regulation of copyright.

http://www.derechosdigitales.org/en/2011/02/17/propiedad-intelectual-en-el-acuerdo-de-asociacion-trans-pacifico/

---

Daniel Alvarez Valenzuela
Abogado