[A2k] Intellectual Property & TPP

daniel at derechosdigitales.org daniel at derechosdigitales.org
Fri Feb 18 04:58:19 PST 2011

During this week was held in Santiago,  Chile the V Round of
Negotiations for the extension of the Trans Pacific Partnership
Agreement of Free Trade (known as TPP), signed by Brunei, Chile, New
Zealand and Singapore (P4) in 2005, which seek to join the United
States, Australia, Peru, Vietnam and Malaysia.

According to published reports, the new multilateral agreement would
mean the creation of a broad free trade area between some of the
largest economies in America and Asia, and would include, among other
regulations, new international rules on intellectual property.

For ONG Derechos Digitales, the establishment of new obligations on
intellectual property in general and in particular copyright- in a new
free trade agreement is a matter of great concern. Over the past
decade, Chile incorporated into domestic law provisions that are above
international standards agreed at the World Intellectual Property
Organization and the World Trade Organization, as a result of
obligations under the Free Trade Agreement signed with the United
States in 2003.

Therefore, we call upon the Government of Chile to don’t undertake to
negotiate or accept any new obligations that may affect the rights of
users and domestic consumers by excessive protection of intellectual
property. Instead, we encourage our country to promote standards that
balance the legitimate rights and interests of stakeholders, such as
strengthening the public domain, stablishment of exceptions and
limitations to copyright that allow fair use exceptions, regulation
of orphan works  and   express establishment of  judicial system of
notification and download allegedly infringing content on the
Internet, among other provisions that consider public interests
involved in the regulation of copyright.

http://www.derechosdigitales.org/en/2011/02/17/propiedad-intelectual-en-el-acuerdo-de-asociacion-trans-pacifico/

---

Daniel Alvarez Valenzuela
Abogado