[A2k] Brazilian Ministry of Culture removes Creative Commons licenses from its website

Heather Ford hfordsa at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 09:41:56 PST 2011

This is interesting - thanks for sending, Carolina.

I'm not quite sure why this is necessarily bad, though. The government
hasn't replaced the logo with an all rights reserved notice. There still
seems to be an intention for flexibility.

Also, I would have thought that taking the CC license off of government
materials would be a good thing (since surely it should be in the public
domain?)

Perhaps there's something I'm not getting from this?

Best,
Heather.

On 2011/01/24 9:02 AM, Carolina Rossini wrote:
> *Brazilian Ministry of Culture removes Creative Commons licenses from its
> website*
>

> Since 2003, the Brazilian Ministry of Culture website’s content has been
> posted under a Creative Commons license, but the new Ministry has removed
> the Creative Commons logo from its website.  The removal occurred shortly
> after the publication of an open letter asking for the continuation of
> copyright reforms that were adopted or were under discussion during the
> government of Lula, and which would have expanded limitations and exceptions
> to copyright.  Therefore, the removal has been interpreted by the Brazilian
> civil society as a sign of the inflexibility of Minister Ana de Hollanda,
> who opposes the reforms. Click here for
> more.<http://infojustice.org/archives/867>
>
> * *

Heather Ford