[A2k] SCCR 22: Opening statement of Group B delivered by France

Thirukumaran Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Wed Jun 15 09:37:33 PDT 2011

SCCR 22

Group B opening statement

M. Chair, let me congratulate you on behalf of group B for your election. We look forward to working with you during what we hope will be a productive meeting.

Group B thanks the International Bureau for organizing consultations last April on the protection of both audiovisual performances and broadcasting organizations, which proved very useful. Several group B members have also been actively involved in informal consultations on print disabilities, trying to identify common ground and promote convergence among the different proposals on the table.

This 22nd session of the Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights is of the utmost importance in view of the coming General Assembly in September. We need to build upon the previous progress and preparatory works so as to advance on all topics.

As you know, group B is deeply committed to improve the access of print and other reading disabled persons to copyright material, as reflected in the regional and national legislation of its member states. We look forward to achieving an effective and expeditious solution both to facilitate cross-border circulation of adapted formats, as well as the extension of this type of legislation to as many countries as possible. We also want to emphasize the important role played by the Stakeholders’ Platform, which should continue its efforts, in parallel with the Committee’s effort to establish new international norms in this area.

On the protection of audiovisual performances, we should maximize our current efforts in order to agree on the text of a treaty. Such a treaty would greatly contribute to cultural and economic development as well as promote cultural diversity.

Group B continues to believe that we should move towards a treaty providing a properly calibrated protection to broadcasting organizations. We thank the Chair of the informal consultations for preparing document SCCR/22/11 and look forward to discussing it next week.

We also stand prepared to discuss in future work of this committee the other important issues under exceptions and limitations.

M. Chairman, during this intensive session of the SCCR, group B will spare no effort in view of reaching consensus on all items. Under your wise guidance we hope this committee succeeds in achieving substantial positive results.

Thiru Balasubramaniam
Geneva Representative
Knowledge Ecology International (KEI)

thiru at keionline.org