[A2k] Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Mexico, Paraguay, and the United States of America: Consensus document on an international instrument on limitations and exceptions for persons with print disabilities

Claude Almansi claude.almansi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 05:36:33 PDT 2011

Thanks, Thiru,

This consensus document looks promising - though maybe there are
catches I missed at first reading. Has it been officially adopted by
the SCCR 22 participants?

Re: "Article E - Importation of Accessible Format Copies:

To the extent that national law would permit a beneficiary person or
an authorized entity acting on the beneficiary person’s behalf to make
an accessible format copy of a work, the national law should/shall
permit a beneficiary person or an authorized entity acting on that
person's behalf to import an accessible format copy."

Does that mean that "a beneficiary person or an authorized entity
acting on that person's behalf" can import **any** DRM-less copy of a
work when the primary DRMed version prevents the use of adaptive tech,
even if the removal of the DRM was not done under a restriction of a
national copyright law? I.e. can they legally download a "pirate"
DRM-less  copy if the original version does not work with adaptive
tech?

Best,

Claude