[A2k] Media Piracy in Emerging Economies A Report by the Social Science Research Council

John Bergmayer john at publicknowledge.org
Thu Mar 10 05:46:23 PST 2011

It's not exactly what you're thinking of, but I've been working on a compulsory license issue that doesn't come up that much in IP circles.

From 1976 through 1992 cable systems in the US only had to pay a nominal fee to qualify for a blanket license that gave them the right to retransmit all of the content in broadcast signals.  (Prior to that, they just retransmitted content without permission. This was not illegal as retransmissions of broadcast signals weren't considered to be public performances and thus did not come within the scope of exclusive rights of a content owner.  When the law was to be changed to make it so that such retransmissions were within the exclusive rights, people quickly realized that the transaction costs for cable systems would be too high, so the compulsory license was simultaneously created.)

This is a precedent for the notion that compulsory licenses can make sense in diffuse rightsholder, high transaction cost situations.  That's not to say it's good or bad policy, just that it's been done.

Now, TRIPS wasn't around in 1976, but the compulsory license is still in place although now cable systems have to pay broadcast stations for their "signal" (not for the content) and theoretically some of that money gets back to rightsholders, which makes the whole situation harder to analyze.