[A2k] Shakespeare 2.0 & How to outlaw the Guernica

Ante ante at ffii.org
Wed Mar 30 04:14:00 PDT 2011

Vrijschrift response to EU IPRED consultation

Part 1: Shakespeare 2.0

Part 1 is a defense of the remix culture: From Panchatantra to hip hop,
artists have always used earlier works to express themselves. Cultures have
always been remix cultures. And copyright traditionally only regulated
professional behavior.

"We have to reclaim our homes and our communication, our non commercial
activities and remix creativity. Our breathing space."

Part 2: How to outlaw the Guernica

Louis Vuitton managed to get a court order against... a painting. Part 2 uses
Vuitton's assault on the freedom of speech as an example. Artist Nadia Plesner
faces damages of 300.000 euros, and counting - awarded in a case where she
wasn't present (ex parte).

With images, Vrijschrift illustrates what this case would have done in
history. "De Goya's Shootings on Third of May is a famous political painting.
Imagine that De Goya would have painted this version, including a Vuitton bag.
De Goya would have ended broke, we would not have known his painting. Neither
would he have have had the money to paint the Black Paintings, etc."

Vrijschrift also enriched Picasso's Guernica with three (!) Vuitton handbags
("This version of the Guernica would have been outlawed").

The last image shows a Vuitton design combined with the word "Boycott". The
non-commercial usage in the document is allowed.

http://www.vrijschrift.org/serendipity/index.php?/archives/116-Shakespeare-2.0.html

http://www.vrijschrift.org/serendipity/index.php?/archives/117-How-to-outlaw-the-Guernica.html

PDF, 10 Mb:
http://people.vrijschrift.org/~ante/ipred/Vrijschrift-IPRED2011.pdf