[A2k] Shakespeare 2.0 & How to outlaw the Guernica

Peter Jenner peter.jenner at sinman.co.uk
Wed Mar 30 09:22:38 PDT 2011

There are many societies who look on their creative work as an expression of their collective/tribal/family's  history/story.

The whole idea of IP is very new and modern . If it is a useful idea (which I think it can be), then it has to moderate its claims.
Every piece of music is based on what the musician/composer has heard, sung or otherwise experienced in their life. No one invented the scale, or the blues, or the folk song, and to claim it as your own is only legitimate if you are spreading or developing or preserving the tradition, and IP enables you to get paid for your work and training and creativity. All creativity is substantially a remix of what one has seen , enjoyed, or learnt from others through one's life. As such it has real value.

IP was invented to encourage people to make creative works or inventions available for the benefit of the community. If there is no benefit then there is no justification for the whole game.

I write as someone who has made his living from helping creative people get paid by the exploitation of their work ,for the last 45 years.

Peter Jenner