[A2k] TPP IP Analysis, Open for Comment

Sean Flynn sflynn at wcl.american.edu
Thu Nov 17 06:41:06 PST 2011

FOR PUBLIC RELEASE

Margot Kaminski (Yale Information Society Project), Brook Baker
(Northeastern University) and Jimmy Koo and I (PIJIP) have released a
draft section by section analysis of the leaked U.S. proposals for
intellectual property and pharmaceutical pricing chapters for the
Trans-Pacific Free Trade Agreement (TPP).

The U.S. proposal is lengthy and complex, with almost every section
including new language not included in any previous free trade agreement
and many provisions extending beyond the current bounds of U.S. law. As
with other recent bilateral and plurilateral negotiations, these
proposals are being offered in official secrecy - no official text from
the negotiation will be released until four years after the conclusion
of the negotiation.

To help ensure that or analysis is as complete and accurate as possible,
we are releasing our preliminary findings in draft form for public
comment. Comments will be accepted through 5pm EST November 28, 2011,
at:

http://infojustice.org/tpp-analysis-november2011

We welcome comments of any kind, including suggestions for the addition
of citations and analysis and corrections of our preliminary
conclusions.

We will review comments and release a revised draft of the paper by
December 2, 2011 - preceding the start of the next TPP round of
negotiations in Malaysia December 5-9.

We will also endeavor to update this paper as new information from the
negotiations surfaces.

Sean M Fiil Flynn

Associate Director

Program on Information Justice and Intellectual Property (PIJIP)

American University Washington College of Law
4801 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington, D.C. 20016
(202) 274-4157