[A2k] Confirmatory application for legal service’s opinion on ACTA

Ante ante at ffii.org
Thu Nov 17 07:38:31 PST 2011

Confirmatory application for legal service’s opinion on ACTA
November 17, 2011
By Ante

http://acta.ffii.org/?p=892

Today I filed a confirmatory application for the European Parliament legal
service’s opinion on ACTA.

Confirmatory application for A12541

Dear Sir or Madam,

I hereby file a confirmatory application for A12541 – Legal Service’s opinion on
ACTA. On 15 October 2011, I requested the document, repeating my 21 August
request. I received a reception confirmation on 17 October (A12541 – acc
reception). I did not receive a reply.

There is an overriding public interest in disclosure of this document (compare
European Court of Justice Turco case). [1]

Parliament will have to balance the interest to be protected by non-disclosure
and public interest in disclosure. While doing this, the Parliament will have
to take into account art 103 of its Rules of Procedure: “1. Parliament shall
ensure that its activities are conducted with the _utmost transparency_ , in
accordance with the second paragraph of Article 1 of the Treaty on European
Union, Article 15 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union and
Article 42 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union.”
(emphasis added)

1. ACTA is a matter of life and death

ACTA’s predecessor, the TRIPS agreement, killed millions of people. The world
faces major challenges: access to medicine, diffusion of green technology
needed to fight climate change, and a balanced Internet governance. While
flexibility is essential to solve these major issues, ACTA codifies heightened
measures.

“Remember, governance is a big word that includes human rights, freedom of
speech, economic transactions on a worldwide basis — it touches everything.
It’s everywhere, and that’s why Internet governance is topic A in many
corners.” Vincent Cerf, one of the godfathers of the Internet [2]

500 Million Europeans, and billions abroad, are entitled to full transparency.

More:
http://acta.ffii.org/?p=892