[A2k] WIPO study on Patents and the Public Domain

Seth Johnson seth.p.johnson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 08:42:21 PST 2011

What I would do to begin to make this report collapse out of inherent
internal contradictions, would be to start by asking them to clarify
what they left out of the sentence fragment.

"While the obvious significance and potential importance of this
information to the public domain, it should be understood that this
provision of the TRIPS Agreement does not address public domain
concerns."

Then couple that inquiry with any number of questions about what
exactly the authors mean by claiming that this provision does not
address public domain concerns.  They have not substantiated their
position, and they have failed to confront that fact.  :-)  The
missing piece of the introductory clause is the whole key to their
position -- how do they treat the "obvious significance and potential
importance of this information to the public domain" such that they
render it secondary to the public domain concerns?

Just expand that contradiction.  The collapse inherently follows.

(Compulsive grammatical nit:  the introductory clause is not
independent, as my previous comment said -- it is a clause though,
requiring a verb.  It is just suspended, rendered subordinate to the
main independent clause through the conjunction "while.")

Seth