[A2k] US response to India's question on legally binding instrument for libraries and archives

Thirukumaran Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Tue Nov 22 02:13:15 PST 2011

This is taken from the WIPO live-stream.

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA: "Thank you, Mr. Chairman. The United States just wanted to answer the question posed to us by the distinguished delegate and our good friend from India as to whether our submission implied that we thought there was no need for any further work.

The United States definitely stands by the agreement we reached in SCCR 21 that we should be having text-based discussions. However, my colleague from India asked whether we had determined there was no need for a legally binding instrument. And we would reiterate that the SCCR 21 conclusions was that we were discussing instruments or instruments, binding or non-binding.

So the view of the States is that we definitely should work on this issue in this Committee. We definitely should work on clearly formulating principles and norms. And that those norms can provide guidance to countries so strengthen and improve and clarify exceptions and limitations for libraries and archives. Of course it is the strength of that guidance that is at issue when one discusses the nature of the instrument."

Thiru Balasubramaniam
Geneva Representative
Knowledge Ecology International (KEI)

thiru at keionline.org