[A2k] WIPO “Marathon Session” on Libraries, Archives, Reading Disabled Instrument (ICTSD)

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 20:24:40 PST 2011

This sounds like a very positive development.  Can anyone give me a sense
of what this might mean for something like the Hathi Trust project with
various US libraries?  The Author's Guild along with various other
international bodies sued Hathi over its scanning of orphan works in the
collections of these libraries.  The request of the plaintiffs was to have
the works that had been scanned impounded barring a legislative solution.
In the US, there has been no helpful legislation clearing up the issue of
orphan works and the stalemate of our political system promises nothing in
the near future.  Here is a briefing written by Jonathan Band of Policy
Bandwidth for the Association of Research Libraries.

http://www.arl.org/news/pr/orphanworks_13sept11.shtml

However, if I read the statement below correctly (along with the other
statements by the IFLA: http://www.ifla.org/en/node/5858) it sounds like
the relief might come through a bit of policy laundering in the favor of
libraries and scholarly communication.  Namely, if the US negotiators
agreed to this as a binding treaty, it might provide that legislative
solution.  Is that correct or am I being too optimistic?  If not, I guess
that explains why I've heard so little about it from the above mentioned
sources.  If so, why is there not more discussion and excitement about this
possibility?

thanks for humoring me either way.  Have a nice day.

best,
Sean Andrews
ACLS Public Fellow
NITLE Program Officer