[A2k] SCCR23: Statement of USA on the protection of broadcasting organizations

Thirukumaran Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Mon Nov 28 02:17:38 PST 2011

This intervention was made by the US on Monday, 28 November 2011 during formal discussions on the protection of broadcasting organizations.

This text is taken from the WIPO live stream.

-------------------------------------

USA: Thank you, Mr. Chairman. First and foremost, the U.S. delegation would like to thank the delegations of South Africa and Mexico for their recent submission. We listened carefully to the introduction. And as my colleague mentioned, we also look forward to studying it carefully and being active participants in this discussion.

So as many of my distinguished friends and colleagues around the room know from past interventions, it has been the long-standing position of the United States that a new treaty may be needed to update the provisions of the broadcasting protection under the 1961 Rome Convention on the protection of performers, producers, phonograms and broadcasting organizations, particularly in regard to the regard of broadcast signals from piracy.
In the view of the United States, there is broad agreement among WIPO member states that signal piracy has become an increasing problem because member states were unable to reach consensus on how to address the growing problem of signal piracy, both in 2006 and 2007, I believe, the GA mandates provide a framework for future discussions.

The United States remains firmly of the have you that this committee -- the view that this committee must comply with those mandates, requiring SCCR members to reach agreements on the objectives, scope and object of protection in a signal-based approach before proceeding to a diplomatic conference.

For the United States, the goal of our efforts remains the same: We are committed to work with our committee colleagues on exploring the possible approaches to a treaty for broadcast organizations that can meaningfully address signal piracy and update the Rome Convention while at the same time safeguarding the public domain and avoiding undue complexity or burden on the international Copyright system.

The United States believes that any proposed treaty should be technologically neutral in the sense that the activities of traditional broadcast organizations are treated the same way across different distribution platforms.

That concludes our formal statement. We look forward to staying engaged in this discussion.
Thank you, Mr. Chair.

Thiru Balasubramaniam
Geneva Representative
Knowledge Ecology International (KEI)