[A2k] Fwd: ACTA to be signed (unconstitutionally)

Erik Hjalmar Josefsson erik.hjalmar.josefsson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 02:12:52 PDT 2011

There is no "ratification process" anywhere in the EU with which you can
interact in any meaningful way except the EP's vote on consent.

There is no "significant space" in the EU for talking about anything
else right now than the so far successful coup to replace a plenary vote
on a resolution to ask the Court for an Opinion with a question to the
EP's Legal Service drafted in camera by JURI and INTA Chairs.

There is no "public opinion" of significance anywhere in the EU which
can produce a light in which MEPs would find it worth while to get
educated about ACTA.

Normally I don't agree with Jérémie, but now he is right, the signing of
ACTA by the US, Canada, etc has to be the starting point of a campaign
which has to use every single procedural step available to create public
opinion and MEP awareness before the final vote on consent:

    * the Question(s) to the Legal Service (byline: MANIPULATION)
    * which Committees will write and opinion on the INTA report? Which
      MEPs are involved? (byline: GLOBAL HEALTH HEROES)
    * civil society complaints to the Ombudsman (byline: GOLD STANDARD
      TRANSPARENCY)
    * written questions to Council or Commission, including reporting on
      delays and non-answers (byline: NEXT QUESTION PLEASE)
    * the resolution on asking the Court for an Opinion (byline:
      IGNORANCE OR CERTAINTY)

there will hopefully be more intermediary steps to hook into as the
campaign is successfully creating more political space and by that
moving the date for the consent vote forward.

Greens/EFA Press Conference on Tuesday:
http://en.act-on-acta.eu/4_October_Press_Conference

Now, who tables a Priority Question on Obama's Signing statement?

It should be in first thing Monday morning.

//Erik