[A2k] Sao Paulo city adopts OER law

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 11:55:15 PDT 2011

Hi, Kim

We have discussed all this with them, plus sent them a list of case studies
that CC has prepared on OER and now we are mapping the projects that would
be or not interoperable with the resources coming from the city.

In any case, I think we should commemorate this step towards openness, as
something historic, since Brazil has not adopted any legislation or
institutional mandate in areas such as OA....and has adopted just some
institutional mandates/preferences in regard to free software. We of course
need to make more progress on removing the NC clause over time, and indeed
this is our goal, but it's still worth celebrating this step.

Brazil has indeed a great "free culture" group of people and free software
people, but this is the first time legislation was actually enacted in this
area. Getting open licenses of any sort into implementation is complex. And,
actually, this is the first of its kind in the world...even if you compare
with what came out of Obama government (now under challenge) or out of
Washington State also in the USA.

We also have an OER bill that we assisted to draft that was introduced in
the House of Representatives in the Brazilian Congress last june and soon we
will have one coming out of Sao Paulo state.

I also want to recognize the great work of CC-Brazil chapter/leads who are
directly supporting this work in Sao Paulo city. We have been working with
the city for a long time and discussing new models for open textbooks and
other issues, but the support of CC Brazil was crucial.

best,

Carol