[A2k] FFII requests European Parliament's Legal Services' opinion on ACTA

Ante ante at ffii.org
Sat Oct 15 07:10:04 PDT 2011

FFII requests European Parliament's Legal Services' opinion on ACTA
http://acta.ffii.org/?p=833

The European Parliament's Legal Services' opinion on ACTA is ready. And it is
secret! Not only that, according to rumors in Parliament, it is positive about
ACTA. So we have prominent academics and fundamental rights experts pointing
out problems with ACTA, and then in a secret opinion the Parliament's Legal
Services says it is fine. This is very strange, since the earlier opinions were
excellent.

So we do not have access to a secret opinion which will be used by proponents
to say everything is fine. The opinion may be very influential in Parliament.
This can not be taken seriously. A secret opinion on a public text which has
been analysed in public by some of the brightest minds in Europe.

The secrecy seems in violation of the ECJ Turco case. The FFII filed a request
for documents.