[A2k] Infojustice Roundup - April 2, 2012

Michael Palmedo mpalmedo at wcl.american.edu
Mon Apr 2 13:09:19 PDT 2012

Infojustice Roundup
Intellectual Property and the Public Interest

White House IP Czar Releases the 2011 Annual Report on Intellectual
Property Enforcement

Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator (IP Czar) Victoria Espinel
has published the 2011 Annual Report on Intellectual Property
Enforcement.  The report describes efforts to strengthen IP enforcement
in the U.S. and overseas.  Regarding legislation to fight piracy online,
it states "the Administration will not support legislation that reduces
freedom of expression, increases cybersecurity risk (including authority
to tamper with the DNS system), or undermines the dynamic, innovative
global internet."  The report lists ACTA, bilateral FTAs, and various
policy pledges from China as "significant accomplishments." It describes
an initiative to develop action plans with countries on the Special 301
Priority Watch and Watch lists for their eventual removal from these
lists. Click here for more. <http://infojustice.org/archives/9304>

TPP v. ACTA - Line by Line

[by Carrie Ellen Sager] As the TPP heads for its next intersessional
meeting on IP provisions in April, public concern about the agreement
has been growing, often tied to the previous public outcry over
SOPA/PIPA and ACTA. The enforcement provisions in the IP section of the
TPP have been described as "ACTA-plus," but to what extent is the TPP an
ACTA clone? And how far beyond ACTA does the TPP go? One important
difference is that the TPP proposal contains the DMCA notice and
takedown provisions that were stripped from ACTA. Click here for more.
<http://infojustice.org/archives/9256>

New Website for IER-Brazil Project

Last week, Carolina Rossini announced a new Open Educational Resources
project website:  "we aim to provide vast information on OER for
Portuguese speakers. We have developed a large FAQ, pointed to reference
documents, media, etc. We have also listed projects from Brazil and the
world (let us know if you suggest other projects that we can include in
the near future), pointing to their license scheme. We have also pointed
to the current bills that aim to promote OER in Brazil if approved, and
hope to engage society in the discussions and improvement of such
policies. Soon we will have the main navigation links also in English."
Click here to visit http://rea.net.br/

European Parliament Votes Against ECJ Legal Review of ACTA

On March 27, the European Parliament's International Trade Committee
(INTA) voted 21-5 to reject a request by MEP David Martin to refer the
Anticounterfeiting Trade Agreement to the European Court of Justice.
Martin wanted the Court to determine whether or not the agreement
conflicts with EU law.  The INTA will instead conduct its own ACTA
review, and the full Parliament will vote on ACTA ratification in July.
Click here for more. <http://infojustice.org/archives/9293>

PhRMA's Special 301 Comments on Indian Compulsory Licensing Misinterpret
TRIPS Obligations

PhRMA's Special 301 comments to the U.S. Trade Representative include a
section on the compulsory licensing provisions in India's Patents Act.
PhRMA recommends that "India should ensure that the CL provisions comply
with TRIPS by... Eliminating price as a trigger to CL.  (Section
84(1)(b) of the Indian Patent Act which would permit a CL if the
patented invention is not available to the public at a reasonably
affordable price')." Click here for more.
<http://infojustice.org/archives/9267>

As Colombian Senate Debates FTA Implementation Bill, Anonymous Takes
Down Its Website

The Colombian draft bill for the implementation of the Colombia-US Free
Trade Agreement obligations is creating strong reaction from Colombian
society.  Not only copyrights scholars oppose to this draft; the group
Anonymous Colombia has unplugged the official website of the Senate to
show its rejection to this draft. The Senate website has been unplugged
since March 27.  Click here for more.
<http://infojustice.org/archives/9280>