[A2k] Canada: Students pledge to fight new copyright agreement

Manon Ress manon.ress at keionline.org
Tue Apr 24 14:26:01 PDT 2012

Students pledge to fight new copyright agreement
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/04/24/4437663/students-pledge-to-fight-new-copyright.html

By Canadian Federation of Students
Canadian Federation of Students
Last modified: 2012-04-24T12:13:45Z
Published: Tuesday, Apr. 24, 2012 - 5:12 am

OTTAWA, April 24, 2012 -- /PRNewswire/ - Students will fight to reject
the new agreement recently signed between Access Copyright and the
Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC). The
agreement will impose new fees on students, restrict the accessibility
of educational material and raise concern for the respect of privacy
of students and faculty.

"The agreement is being rejected by students and professors and we
will fight its implementation however we can," says Roxanne Dubois,
National Chairperson of the Canadian Federation of Students. "Rather
than paying to finance open access publications, purchase site
licenses and promote fair dealing, the money from this agreement will
instead be pocketed by large, mostly foreign owned publishing
companies."

Earlier this week, the AUCC, representing Canadian college and
university administrators, signed a model license with Access
Copyright, an organisation representing commercial publishing
interests, that purports to grant certain copying rights on campus. In
exchange the institutions received vague protections against being
sued for copyright infringement. Access Copyright also has a record of
using the fees imposed on students to finance its lobbying campaigns
to defeat copyright reforms necessary to advance research and
education.

"We are further concerned about the creation of a survey mechanism
that would aim to monitor electronic correspondences and spy on
students and faculty," added Dubois. "We are calling on university
administrations to reject this arrangement and instead work with
students to build a better copyright model, not spend our money
shoring up an obsolete one."

The Canadian Federation of Students is Canada's largest student
organisation, uniting more that one-half million students in all ten
provinces. The Federation and its predecessor organisations have
represented students in Canada since 1927.

SOURCE Canadian Federation of Students
April 24, 1:53 PM PDT

Read more here:
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/04/24/4437663/students-pledge-to-fight-new-copyright.html#storylink=cpy