[A2k] Open letter to MEP Berlinguer on EU patent

ante ante at ffii.org
Mon Dec 10 05:03:05 PST 2012

Open letter to MEP Berlinguer on EU patent
http://acta.ffii.org/?p=1697

December 10, 2012
By Ante

I just sent a letter to Member of the European Parliament Luigi Berlinguer on
the EU patent.

Dear Mr Berlinguer,

About a year ago, we exchanged some emails on ACTA, the Anti-Counterfeiting
Trade Agreement. You were an early critic of ACTA. Today I write to you to
share my concerns about the unitary patent.

The unitary patent proposal shows a fundamental conflict. Should a general
court, like the EU Court of Justice, have the last word in patent cases?

The patent incrowd dislikes any interference from a general court on patent
law, as general courts also are knowledgeable about third party interests,
competion law, public interest and human rights.

The patent incrowd does not want such influences on patent rights. Societies on
the other hand, have to ascertain that patent law is given its proper place,
that third party interests, competion law, public interest and human rights
are taken into account.

Supported by the UK, the patent incrowd has won in the Council. The Parliament
is about to agree with this.

The EU will leave the granting of patents to a non-EU organisation, the
European Patent Organisation, without a role for the EU or the EU Court of
Justice in this.

And the EU Court of Justice will hardly play a role in patent infringement
cases, as there is hardly EU law on patents.

Private interests are about to win over the public interest, and
unfortunately, you support amendments to that effect.

Patents can be a matter of life and death, like in medicines, seeds and our
ability to fight climate change; and innovation is important strategically. The
unitary patent, as proposed by the Council, is a charade, as ACTA would have
been.

I urge you to support postponing the vote.

Yours sincerely,

Ante Wessels, FFII analyst

See also http://unitary-patent.eu/