[A2k] Jina Moore: Closed Book

Manon Ress manon.ress at keionline.org
Sun Dec 16 18:52:29 PST 2012

Excellent piece in FP on the Treaty for Blind people and people with
other reading disabilities to be discussed at WIPO tomorrow:

Closed Book
Why won't the Obama administration back a treaty to make reading more
accessible for the visually impaired?

BY JINA MOORE | DECEMBER 17, 2012
In law school in Freetown, Sierra Leone, Thomas Alieu was a smart,
determined, and thwarted. "I wanted to become the first blind lawyer
in this country," says Alieu, who was blinded by the measles when he
was 5. He'd survived the country's decade-long civil war and thrived
at university -- he earned a bachelor's degree in history -- but when
he got to law school, he couldn't find recordings of his specialized
textbooks, and the classmates who had read aloud to him as an
undergraduate were too busy to do the same in law school. "I was
forced to be a dropout because the materials were not there."

Read the entire story here:
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/12/16/closed_book_WIPO_treaty_visually_impaired#.UM6CtlcqEjo.twitter
--
Manon Ress