[A2k] [Ip-health] Diagnostic Testing and NICE

Els Torreele etorreele at sorosny.org
Thu Feb 9 08:14:55 PST 2012

It may be useful to also keep in mind what/who is driving the "personalized medicine" approach: not science, but ideology and profit potential.

Remember RC Lewontin's excellent "Biology as Ideology: The Doctrine of DNA"?
That was in 1993...

Of course there's been much written and said on the topic since then, mostly blindly promoting the genetic basis of health and disease.
However, despite billions of $ of public and private investments in research including the human genome project, there still is no evidence to show a genetic basis for most diseases, let alone that genetic variation would determine people's response to specific medicines. There are a few notable exceptions, but overall there's nothing.
Strikingly after all these efforts to no avail, geneticists are now twisting their discourse to say that the lack of evidence merely points to the fact that they have not yet FOUND the "Missing Heritability of Complex Diseases" (Manolio et al. Nature 2009).
Any other scientific hypothesis would long have been dismissed...

But of course there's loads of money being pumped into marketing campaigns (including front-line "patient groups", talk shows, a stream of articles in popular media such as US Today, paying off "experts", etc) to make us all believe that we will benefit from all that genetic testing - no different from the classical pharmaceutical industry overmarketing their statins or psychotropic drugs (including creating needs/demand by turning perfectly halthy/normal conditions into a diseases that can be medicated)

And this deafens any critical voices...

Highly recommended - more critical- reading on this:
The great DNA data deficit
Jonathan Latham and Allison Wilson
http://independentsciencenews.org/health/the-great-dna-data-deficit/

and also:
Phantom Heritability' Indicates Poor Predictive Value of Gene Tests
Helen Wallace, GeneWatch UK
http://independentsciencenews.org/health/phantom-heritability-indicates-poor-predictive-value-of-gene-tests/

Direct-to-Consumer DNA Testing and the Myth of Personalized Medicine:
Spit Kits, SNP Chips and Human Genomics
http://www.etcgroup.org/en/node/675

And even in the more rare cases that a clear genetic association has been found between mutations and disease risk, such as in the case of certain types of breast cancer, it remains a matter of debate whether genetic testing has any impact on the health outcomes. See for example:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/08/brca-variants-cancer-outcomes-breast-genes_n_1135428.html

Els