[A2k] KEI letter to Representatives Issa and Maloney in opposition to HR 3699

Manon Ress manon.ress at keionline.org
Fri Jan 6 16:56:53 PST 2012

For contact information for representatives, see:
http://www.taxpayeraccess.org/action/action_access/12-0106.shtml

KEI letter to Representatives Issa and Maloney;

January 6, 2012

Subject: opposition to H.R. 3699

Dear Representative Issa and Maloney,

On behalf of Knowledge Ecology International (KEI), an organization
concerned with public health, access to knowledge and a fair return on
public investment in the creation of knowledge, I am writing to
strongly oppose H.R. 3699, the “Research Works Act," introduced on
December 16, and referred to the House Oversight and Government Reform
Committee. This bill would prohibit federal agencies from conditioning
their grant funding to require that the public be guaranteed online
access to the results of research funded by tax dollars fund.  This
will also negatively impact the advancement of scientific discovery
and slow the pace of  innovation in scientific disciplines.

H.R. 3699 would also curtail the successful National Institutes of
Health (NIH) Public Access Policy, undermining access to the results
of research funded by taxpayer dollars for American taxpayers and
benefiting mostly foreign-owned publishers.

Furthermore, by limiting the dissemination of critical advancements in
life-saving research and scientific discovery, it will prevent
scientists from building on research and thus decrease the rate of
innovation that can provide treatments and cures, saving and improving
countless lives.

Because of the NIH Public Access Policy, today millions of physicians,
patients and their families have access to vital health care
information from the NIH's PubMed Central database. These physicians,
patients and their families often need to make crucial decision on
treatments in a timely manner.

Finally, in my personal capacity, as a cancer patient myself, I
recently had less than a week to evaluate different potential
life-saving treatments.  Access to the NIH's PubMed Central Database
was invaluable to me in making a better informed decision in
discussions with my medical team.

Ensuring timely and public access to results of taxpayer funded
research is essential to public health and innovation and I hope the
NIH and other agencies will continue to provide us with more and more
results of research.

Sincerely,

Manon Ress

Knowledge Ecology International