[A2k] historical context for SOPA, PIPA, copyfight & knowledge enclosures

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 10:02:47 PST 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sasha Costanza-Chock <schock at mit.edu>
Date: Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Subject: [berkmanfriends] historical context for SOPA, PIPA, copyfight &
knowledge enclosures
To: "civicmedia-researchers at media.mit.edu" <
civicmedia-researchers at media.mit.edu>, Berkman Friends <
berkmanfriends at eon.law.harvard.edu>

Hi all,

Some of you may be interested in these two articles I wrote w/my partner
Chris Schweidler re: history of the term 'piracy' and possibilities for a
shared organizing strategy against IPRs across multiple sectors (copyfight,
access to meds, food/seed patent battles, etc)

1. Concise history of #piracy, #colonialism, & global political economy
http://t.co/U1tVS3LO

[ /“*Piracy*,” (coauthored with Christine Schweidler) in Alain Ambrosi,
Valerie Peugeot, and Daniel Pimienta (eds.), Word Matters: Multicultural
Perspectives on Information Societies. Caen, France: C&F Editions, 2005. <
vecam.org/article694.html
<http://vecam.org/article694.**html<http://vecam.org/article694.html>
>>/]

2. Why fighting #SOPA, #PIPA, and #copyright is not enough:
http://t.co/jckx9sgH

/“*Common Cause: Global Resistance to Intellectual Property Rights*,”
(coauthored with Christine Schweidler) in Dorothy Kidd, Clemencia
Rodriguez, and Laura Stein (eds.), Making Our Media: Mapping Global
Initiatives Toward a Democratic Public Sphere. Creskill, NJ: Hampton Press,
2009. /

peace,
sc

--
Sasha Costanza-Chock
Assistant Professor of Civic Media

Comparative Media Studies
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
1.607.351.5559 | schock AT mit.edu | @schock | E15-322
http://cms.mit.edu | http://civic.mit.edu | http://schock.cc

Please mind that emails sent through this list are considered public unless
otherwise noted.

--
*Carolina Rossini*
Senior Fellow at GPOPAI