[A2k] Governments views on progress on broadcasting treaty at WIPO SCCR24

Manon Ress manon.ress at keionline.org
Mon Jul 23 08:15:16 PDT 2012

July 23, 2012. The plenary at WIPO has started again briefly before
lunch. While there is not much progress on a text about broadcasting
protection there seems to be consensus among governments regarding the
nature of the instrument: it has to be a treaty. No one seems to be
talking about a soft recommendation for broadcasters!

The Chair has provided the Committee with a non paper...8 pages long
that was supposed to include the latest proposals by South Africa,
Mexico and Japan. Obviously Japan does not believe its proposals are
really included but there is "progress." To quote the US delegation
spokesperson, Shira Perlmutter of USPTO "we agree that we need to move
this forward".

Here some excerpts from the transcript from this morning plenary:

http://keionline.org/node/1484

--
Manon Anne Ress
Knowledge Ecology International