[A2k] Europa-Intellectual Property: Commissioner Michel Barnier determined to ensure equal access to books for visually impaired persons

Thirukumaran Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Fri Jul 27 00:48:14 PDT 2012

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=MEMO/12/603&format=HTML

<SNIP>

The Commissioner in charge of the Internal Market added: "I am fully committed to fighting against the unjustified discrimination of visually impaired people but the Commission cannot effectively defend such an approach without a negotiating mandate to do so from the Council of Member State Governments. The Commission has requested such a mandate at my initiative and I will seize the opportunity of my political contacts with the EU Member States to plead in favour of a binding international treaty."

He continued: "I welcome the conclusions reached at WIPO last night and the clear commitment of the parties to work towards an international treaty creating a copyright exception for the benefit of the visually impaired. I urge all parties to negotiate rapidly so that a Diplomatic Conference can be convened in 2013.

<SNIP>

The Commission is in favour of a copyright exception for the benefit of visually impaired people and asked for a mandate from the Member States to negotiate a binding international treaty on 8 June 2012. It is now for the Council to decide on the Commission's request. As long as the Commission does not have a negotiating mandate from the Council, it cannot commit to a text.

--

Thiru Balasubramaniam
Geneva Representative

thiru at keionline.org