[A2k] EU-wide public consultation on the issue of online copyright

Joe McNamee joe at mcnamee.eu
Wed Jun 6 12:22:35 PDT 2012

Thanks,

There are one or two inaccuracies in this article.

Firstly, the consultation is about "notice and action" (action=takedown,
disabling, reporting to law enforcement, reporting to accused party, etc)
rather than just "take-down".

Secondly, it is not (only) about copyright. The e-commerce Directive is a
horizontal instrument covering all forms of online infringing content
whether copyright, defamation or whatever.

Thirdly, a minor point, but I seem to remember that the new Irish
legislation was implemented due to a very dubious analysis of the
2001/29/ec Directive (copyright in the information society Directive) and
not the e-commerce Directive. The judge that made the dubious analysis
wanted to impose injunctions of the kind that were prohibited by the
European Court of Justice before the Irish courts had the opportunity to
impose them. Somebody closer to the coalface in Ireland might be able to
correct me on this, if I'm not remembering the details correctly!

Best regards,

Joe

http://www.thejournal.ie/brussels-launches-eu-wide-public-consultation-on-internet-copyright-enforcement-476359-Jun2012/