[A2k] Internet Freedom vs ACTA

Philippe Aigrain (perso Wanadoo) philippe.aigrain at wanadoo.fr
Thu Mar 15 09:52:44 PDT 2012

Dear Andrew,

There is a general feeling within digital activism and Internet freedoms
advocacy groups that -without releasing our pressure on the rejection of
ACTA- the time is ripe for staging campaigns for major campaigns towards
a significant copyright reform and a recognition of Internet-related rights.

La Quadrature du Net's view is that the key is to push for:
1- a clear delineation of non-market practices of individuals in the
digital sphere and a complete exclusion of these practices from any
policy enforcement agenda,
2- a positive recognition of non-market sharing of digital works between
individuals,
3- the development of policy for the sustainability of creative and
expressive activity in the digital sphere, as to enable a many-to-all
sharing-compatible cultural economy. Such policy has 2 main pillars:
competition in markets and resource pooling for financing of a greater
number of contributors.

There are many tactical moves that are suggested to go in these
directions: a return to the first sale doctrine for non-commercial
activities in the digital sphere, the creation of a new exception for
non-market sharing between individuals, voluntary schemes complemented
by law such as extended collectives licenses and ciompulsory management
of rights, etc.

Other groups may have more specialized agenda, based on making copyright
obtainable only through registration, or leaving a choice between
various forms of copyright, possibly with a default one that authorizes
non-market sharing.

Best,

Philippe Aigrain
http://paigrain.debatpublic.net