[A2k] Kirk response to Trans Pacific Partnership Transparency Letter

Sean Flynn sflynn at wcl.american.edu
Wed May 9 11:53:36 PDT 2012

Please find the enclosed response from Ambassador Kirk to the academics
letter on TPP transparency.

Note that Ambassador Kirk makes reference to TPP being more transparent
and participatory than "any FTA previously," whereas the letter makes
comparisons to different, and far more open, processes - at WIPO, at the
WTO and in domestic legislatures.

The difference is important. FTAs are indeed even more secretive than
TPP (or ACTA). The justification for that secrecy was traditionally that
their subjects were about the horse trading of tariff schedules rather
than the setting of domestic legislative standards. The setting of
domestic legislative standards should be subject to far more open and
transparent processes than that for bilateral trade agreements.

Sean Flynn

Professorial Lecturer and Associate Director

Program on Information Justice and Intellectual Property

American University Washington College of Law

www.pijip.org

www.infojustice.org