[A2k] EFF Looking for International IP Director
gwen at eff.org
Sat May 12 05:12:15 PDT 2012
International Intellectual Property Director
The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), a nonprofit civil liberties organization based in San Francisco, is looking for an individual with a strong background in international law and policy work to head up our international intellectual property agenda. We're looking for an experienced advocate for speech, innovation and access to knowledge. The right candidate will be an activist at heart and must be an excellent writer. Strong connections within the international community working on these issues are essential. Ability to identify potential funding sources would be helpful.
· Demonstrated ability to pick key issues, set policy agendas, and devise strategies to implement organizational goals.
· Proven activism record as an advocate for digital rights and the free and open Internet.
· Knowledge of international and U.S. intellectual property law.
· Experience working on intellectual property issues in international venues.
· Strong research skills and ability to analyze complex documents and develop policy positions on emerging issues in short timeframes.
· Ability to build and work within multi-sector coalitions.
· Global network of contacts.
· Ability to write clearly and concisely. Ideally you will have five years of experience in writing white papers, reports, and blogposts.
· Ability to communicate complex legal issues effectively and accurately to non-lawyers and the general public through blogs and social media.
· Good public speaking and media skills.
· Highly self-motivated -- ability to work independently and with minimum supervision.
· Maturity of judgment.
· Demonstrated ability to track multiple projects at the same time and to work under pressure and with tight timelines.
· Team player with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work cheerfully at 2 a.m. if need be.
· Willingness to relocate to San Francisco, CA, USA.
· Willingness to travel up to 50% of the time.
· Experience working with governments on public policy issues.
· Strong connections to foundations and/or other potential funding sources.
· Fluency in a language other than English.
· Degree in law or public policy.
The International Intellectual Property Director reports to the Executive Director and has one direct report -- the International Intellectual Property Coordinator.
This is a full-time position based in EFF's office in San Francisco, CA. Inquiries about whether this job can be done remotely or part-time will not be answered. To apply, send a cover letter and your resume with at least two English-language writing samples to IntlIPjob at eff.org. No phone calls please!
More information about the A2k